Don’t forget: The Journal of Screenwriting is calling for articles for a special issue with a focus on female screenwriters, to be published in November 2020. I will be co-editing this Special Issue! — Rosanne
Call For Submissions
Special Issue: Female Screenwriters
The Journal of Screenwriting is calling for articles for a special issue with a focus on female screenwriters, to be published in November 2020.
JOSC wants to emphasize the importance of female screenwriters across eras, genres, mediums. This importance may arise from an analysis of bodies of work, from individual scripts written by women or from case studies where female screenwriters have worked collaboratively to express screen stories. Articles may also include women’s work behind the scenes in advocating for/promoting greater gender equality within screenwriting milieux. Articles on female screenwriters from diverse cultural backgrounds are encouraged.
Articles may include (but are not limited to) the following topics:
- Female screenwriters in silent cinema
- The influence of female writer(-directors) in contemporary culture
- Case studies on an individual screenwriter’s work, collaborations between women or on how women-centred stories have been brought to the screen
- Historiography of manuals and screenwriting pedagogy where this reflects the work of female screenwriters
- National and global tendencies with regard to women within screenwriting – relations, influences, cultural transfers
- Censorship and women’s stories and women’s writings
- Biographies of female screenwriters of any era
- Female screenwriters within writing partnerships
- The work of female screenwriters within script production (e.g. as showrunners, script editors or consultants)
- • The question of a female voice within screenwriting
- In the first instance, please email abstracts of up to 400 words and a short biography, no later than Friday, 4 October 2019 to both of the editors of this special issue: Rosanne Welch: firstname.lastname@example.org Rose Ferrell: email@example.com Completed articles of between 4000 and 8000 words should be sent by the end of January 2020.